General Problem Area
As infotainment systems in cars become increasingly sophisticated, customers expect regular updates to their hardware and software. A major European automotive brand wanted to offer its customers a high-end Android infotainment experience involving rapid updates to software and upgradeable hardware.
Joynext is a German company that supplies Android Embedded Modules (AEM) to a major European brand automaker. These infotainment units require regular updates for the latest consumer features. These are popular devices in high volume vehicles. From the start, the program required a roadmap for growth to worldwide deployments.
- Joynext supplies Android Embedded Modules (AEM) to a major European brand automaker
- These infotainment units require regular updates for the latest consumer features
- These updates can be very large in size- over 20GBytes
- These are popular devices in high volume vehicles
- From the start, the program required a roadmap for growth to worldwide deployments
- Excelfore eSync Server on the AWS Cloud
- eSync Client and Agent in the AEM
- Joynext performs the OTA updates using the eSync Servers
- First production units shipped in 2020
- Upgraded AEM-2 deployment in 2023
- Now more than 6 million units in the program
- Deploying in Asia, Europe and North America
AWS managed services currently utilized are:
|AWS Managed Service||Purpose|
|Amazon EKS||Fully hosted scalable Kubernetes control plane|
|Amazon RDS||Postgres engine for OTA payload and status database|
|Amazon MQ||Messaging broker service|
|Amazon OpenSearch Service||Indexing of data for searching and logging with Kibana dashboard|
|Amazon CloudFront||CDN service for distributing vehicle update packages to the edge|
|Amazon Elastic Cache||Managed in-memory data store|
|Amazon SQS||Fully managed message queuing service|
|Amazon ECR||Fully-managed container registry|
|Amazon Prometheus||Open-source monitoring and alerting system|
|Amazon Grafana||Open-source analytics and monitoring platform|
The Excelfore eSync solution offers benefits such as delta compression for large payloads as well as automated scalability and dynamic allocation of server resources supporting more than 600 new connections per second. The Excelfore eSync OTA solution is fully GDPR compliant, which is essential for the European market. It also scales to other geographies with no change to the code.
Excelfore eSync has scalability to grow with our customers’ OTA requirements, as well as standardization for long-term economies of scale, and security to give confidence to the car-buying public. Also, the ability to localize the policies for OTA update campaigns means we can deploy our products into new geographies without requiring re-engineering of the OTA platform.
– Stavros Mitrakis, CEO, Joynext
Excelfore eSync on the AWS Cloud provides Joynext with a scalable and secure OTA platform that efficiently installs large software updates for Android infotainment devices in their customer’s vehicles. This enables cost-effective connectivity for rapid feature enhancement and a happier car-buying public on a global basis.