General Problem Area
Asian automotive markets are price sensitive and demand an efficient total cost of ownership for their vehicles.
Multiple lines of Suzuki cars are built by Maruti-Suzuki India Limited (MSIL)- a subsidiary of Suzuki of Japan. MSIL is the largest domestic passenger car manufacturer in India.
- Ficosa supplies Telematics units to a variety of MSIL vehicles
- Ficosa needed to keep the TCU current for security updates and improved connectivity
- The markets for small economical cars served by MSIL demand an efficient TCO (total cost of ownership)
- MSIL required Ficosa to avoid the high cost and inconvenience of software related recalls
- Ficosa needed the ability to adapt and grow the solution for the future
- The Ficosa solution needed to work even on low-bandwidth legacy cellular networks
- Excelfore eSync OTA on the AWS Cloud
- eSync Client in the Telematics unit
- eSync Agents for other devices to be updated
- Ficosa performs OTA updates using the eSync servers hosted by Excelfore on the AWS Cloud
- The system has been performing operational OTA updates continuously since mid-2020 and is still in production for new units
AWS managed services currently utilized are:
|AWS Managed Service||Purpose|
|Amazon EKS||Fully hosted scalable Kubernetes control plane|
|Amazon RDS||Postgres engine for OTA payload and status database|
|Amazon MQ||Messaging broker service|
|Amazon CloudFront||CDN service for distributing vehicle update packages to the edge|
|Amazon Elastic Cache||Managed in-memory data store|
|Amazon ECR||Fully-managed container registry|
|Amazon Prometheus||Open-source monitoring and alerting system|
|Amazon Grafana||Open-source analytics and monitoring platform|
- Excelfore eSync OTA manages fractional payloads in low-bandwidth legacy cellular environments
- eSync on AWS provides state-of-the-art Cybersecurity
- Excelfore eSync OTA seamlessly adapts to new connected devices within the vehicle
- Excelfore eSync OTA easily migrates to new model vehicles
We chose the eSync OTA platform because it provides a robust, secure vehicle-to-cloud data pipeline that is compatible with multiple operating systems and in-vehicle networks. This gives us the flexibility and scalability to adapt and grow the solution over future years, and to add OTA updating for more components, with a common platform to serve many generations of Ficosa products and OEM vehicles.
– Joan Palacin, Advanced Communications Business Unit Director at Ficosa
Excelfore eSync on the AWS Cloud provides Ficosa with a scalable and secure OTA platform that allows for efficient OTA updates for Telematics units and other connected devices in MSIL vehicles. This enables improved connectivity, reduced costs associated with software-related recalls, and the ability to adapt and grow the solution for the future.